Monday, July 1, 2013

Let's Talk- Controversial Questions

Good morning!  So I returned the laptop I was renting thinking that the one I ordered would be in by now, but no!  Still no laptop.  Right now I am at my mother-in-law's using her laptop...it was either that or attempt to type it all on my iPhone.  See how much I love you?

I have decided to take a plunge today and get into some of the more "controversial" decisions I have made for my family.  I am not writing this to argue or persuade- I am simply going to concisely explain the reasons behind some of my decisions.  These decisions were made with a lot of research and a lot of prayer.  I encourage you to do the same- if you are confident in the decisions you make for your family then there is no need to feel threatened when faced with differing opinions.  We all have unique circumstances and beliefs and that is great!  We do what we feel is best, and that is what it's all about.  For now, these are the decisions I have made, but who knows?  My heart is open to whatever the Lord might want to teach me or lead me in, and I pray I would be open to change should He direct it.

Ok, here goes.

1) Why do you homeschool?
I homeschool because I want my kids home with me.  I want them to be home learning with one another to encourage friendship and bonding.  I do not want our lives to be dictated by a school schedule.  But most of all, I do not want them being taught certain things by certain people.  I do not agree with a lot of things being taught and encouraged in today's society, and I do not want them being taught that certain things are right when I believe the Bible says they are wrong.  I want them to have a Biblical education and I want to know what they are learning.

2) Why don't you vaccinate?
In case you did not know, we do not vaccinate our children.  We vaccinated for a few years, but then I decided to dig in and do some research on them, and was simply unwilling to continue.  I could get into their "efficacy", the fact that their safety has not been tested for longevity, the lies perpetuated many time over many years by vaccine distributors...there really is so much I came across when really digging deep (as in going beyond Parenting magazine).  But even if all of that were to be put aside, reading the list of ingredients was enough to get me to quit.  I have educated myself and this is the very firm decision that Jeff and I have come to.  I am always open for discussion, but I will not engage in mindless rhetoric...I have done my research, and I encourage you to do yours and then you will be secure in whatever decision you choose to make.

3) Why didn't you circumcise your last son?
My first three boys were circumcised, and my last was not.  Learn better, do better.  I simply followed the herd and had my first three boys circumcised because "that's just what you do."  I never gave it a second thought.  But this time, I started thinking about it.  I am of Jewish blood, but am by no means a practicing Jew and even so, I follow Jesus Christ and the Word clearly states that circumcision is no longer part of the covenant.  So then I researched it's medical benefits, and came across absolutely nothing that would substantiate cutting of a part of my perfect newborn's body.  In fact, it would appear that there are many reasons why a male is born with a foreskin- I think it's best we leave things the way they were intended to be.  As far as social acceptance, believe it or not the statistics are currently about 50%-50% for circumcised versus uncircumcised, with the amount of uncircumcised baby boys increasing.  And lastly, as far as sibling uniformity goes- yes, they might compare themselves to each other, but I am pretty confident that 5 minutes later they won't notice or care.  

4) Are you purposely trying to be weird?
Yes, I wake up every day thinking of new ways I can be weird!  Unfortunately, this shows just how far we have come as a society when it is considered "weird" to do things that not too long ago were commonplace.  I do not live and die by what the media tells me I should be doing.  I have a brain and I like using it, and for me, these are the decisions that I have come to.  I do not answer to family, friends, or the media for how I raise my kids.  It is my job to do the best I can by them, and that is what I am doing.


I really hate disclaimers, but I will make an exception for this post.  I do not want to debate.  I did not write this to try and persuade you to change what you are doing.  I am simply telling you what I have chosen to do.  Please take a step back and do not read what I wrote as an attack on the way you do things should they differ from me.  Pray, research, and try things out until you find what you are most comfortable and confident doing.  We are all learning and growing and trying to do the best we can.  

I pray you have a wonderful, blessed week and I look forward to seeing you on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment