Friday, March 29, 2013

Such Were Some of You

I went on facebook the other night and it was lit up with posts on both sides of the gay marriage issue.  I was frustrated and I thought I knew what I would be writing about today.  But then I took my anger and my thoughts to prayer...and instead of talking to God, I listened.

I was listening hard.  I have been learning that I do too much talking and thinking, and not enough hearing.  I wanted to hear the heart of God.  I wanted to know what He thought about all of this.  I want my heart to be more like His heart.  And by the time I was done praying my heart had changed, as well as my thoughts and hopefully as well as my actions.

I am grieved by what I see going on around me.  I think facebook is a terrible, terrible platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions on anything deeper than what you ate for breakfast that day.  But aside from facebook, I am seeing and hearing things that make me wonder if we are fighting for a cause rather than the cross.  I think we need to be seriously reminded that the real battle is taking place in the spiritual realm, not the physical.  So why the bloodshed?

We are fighting flesh and blood when we need to be fighting spiritual forces.  Instead of loving the lost and fighting in prayer, we are fighting the lost and defending it in prayer.  Friends, gay marriage is not the issue- the issue is that there are people who are lost to sin and who are being deceived into a life apart from Jesus.  Gay people are not the enemy.  Liberals are not the enemy.  President Obama is not the enemy.  The enemy is the one who prowls arounds, looking for those he may devour and carry into hell.  All those people defending gay marriage, trying to marry their partner, and pushing to change the laws are PEOPLE.  They are souls, loved and created by God- and He grieves over their separation from Him.  He grieves their life choices, knowing that it will not fill the void or bring true happiness in their souls.

We are creating a chasm between the lost and the saved.  We are widening the gap between them and Jesus with every hate filled post and every thoughtless argument.  I understand the fear- we are afraid of allowing this country to continue to spiral down its path of sin.  We are afraid of having the churches diluted and straying from the pure gospel by conforming to culture.  We are afraid of losing our rights.  It's all valid, but the fighting technique is not.  There is a fire that is burning hot and spreading fast- don't try and build a wall to keep the fire out, but instead gird yourselves with armor and do everything you can to reach in and pull people out of the flames.

I have a dear friend who is a pastor in California, and he has not- to the criticism of many- declared openly the church's stance on gay marriage.  I thought a lot about this and I think he is dead on.  He does not skirt the issue when asked, and he has taught new converts about the Biblical stance on it- but he refuses to alienate his very mission field by purposely drawing a line in the sand before they even cross the threshold into his church.  Jesus met with sinners and as they spent time with Him, their hearts began to change and be molded.  If you are living and believing the pure gospel, then one cannot help but be drawn to be more like Him if they are around you.  Let them come as they are.

Or are you forgetting that you were just as lost in sin before you met your Savior?  God help me if I have any pride about my life.  Homosexual, drunk, liar, thief, murderer, adulterer, idolater..."and such were some of you.  But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." (1 Corinthians 6:11) You were no different until you came to Christ and He washed you clean and gave you a new heart and spirit.  That is what the lost need.  They need Jesus.

I have NEVER seen someone argued into giving their heart to Christ.  But I have seen people loved into giving their heart to Christ.

Get on your knees and fight the real battle.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm...sounds like what I've been saying for years! I heard a great quote at our church's women's retreat that said "don't love humanity more than humans" - meaning don't let the cause trample on the individual. Needless to say I agree with this blog. I've always felt like churches pick and choose sins and then draw lines of separation. AMEN

    ReplyDelete