Monday, March 25, 2013

Let's Talk- Sick Kids

My house is finally staring to get back to normal.  I was very worn out today, having had a sick household for the past bunch of days.  After I wrote my Friday blog, Jeff also came down with the stomach bug...I am the only one in the house that has not gotten it, and I hope this is the end of it and I won't get it!

1) How do you handle sick kids while also running your household?
It is very tough, whether you have 2 or 10 kids.  Sick kids need a lot of love and attention, but just because a kid is sick does not mean some magic fairy visits your house and does the laundry, cooks the meals, or keeps the house clean. So while you do need to care for the sick ones, you also have a house to tend to.  But this is one of the many times I adopt my "do whatever you need to do in order to survive" philosophy.  It goes like this: cereal, soup, grilled cheese, paper plates, wear-your-jammies-all-day-so-there-is-less-laundry, watch movies, and use whatever medicine/remedies will help.  You need to make life as simple as possible when you have added stresses come into your life.  Keep the meals clean and simple, use as few dishes as possible, and just basically do whatever makes the least amount of work.  I am also the queen of throwing things out- I would rather throw out a sheet covered in puke then try and deal with it at 3am.  No, I am not made of money, but what can I say?  Some things I know I can replace fairly inexpensively, so I have definitly been known to throw out sheets or underwear rather than spend the time cleaning it from a particularly gross mess.  Hey, don't judge, lol.
It is also important to keep the kids as happy as possible- mainly because the happier the kid, the easier the days will be.  If your kid thinks medicine will help his tummy ache, then give him Tums and tell him it will help.  So what if it's a stomach bug and Tums won't do a thing- the placebo effect really is true, and especially powerful on kids. :)  So give your kids a jammie, movie, and chocolate milk day, while you do the bare minimum around the house- and just hunker down and remember that it will not last forever!

2) Any special remedies you use for sick kids?
I'm not the best one to ask.  In my blog title, I freely admit that I am both crunchy and mushy- meaning there are some things I am really all-natural about, and other things I just pull more mainstream on.  I know there are a lot of great home remedies for things, but I usually can't remember what they are, and even so I still find that a lot of the time OTC medicine really does the trick the best.  I pray with and over my kids and home when they are sick, but when I use medicine my arsenal consists mainly of Tylenol, Benedryl, and some kind of tummy stuff, like an antacid or tums or something.  These things tend to keep my kids comfortable when they are sick, so I use them as needed.  I also believe (as I mentioned above) in the placebo effect...kids are very persuadable.  If you make them believe that certain things will help, then they tend to help.  I will give my kids a warm bath and have them lay on the couch with a blanket, while explaining to them that these things will help their bodies fight the sickness.  I will give them juice and tell them their bodies need liquids to keep the fever down. I tell them I think the worst is over and that they will probably start to feel better soon.  Im not talking about lying, I'm talking about positive speech and encouraging, loving words.  "As a man thinks in his heart, so he is."  See, the Bible even agrees with me...what you believe inside affects your reality. :)

3) Does Jeff help out a lot when the kids are sick?
Hahahahahaha....well ok, in all fairness, Jeff isn't home a lot because he works 2 jobs.  So I mostly do the work when kids are sick just because I am the one that is home.  He has to go to work in the morning, so I do all the night shifts.  If he has a day off, then he does whatever he can to help- like letting me sleep in, or just generally helping me run the house.  We run our marriage and parenting with a very strong sense of give and take- not that we keep score, but we are very aware of each others needs and whether or not they are being met.  When Jeff got sick 2 days ago, I let him rest- he slept in, took naps, and just laid on the couch all day.  Sure, I was tired after having taken care of the sick kids all week, but he was sick and needed rest so I gave him that.  But then today on Jeff's day off, since he was feeling better he did not hesitate to let me sleep in and lay on the couch all day myself.  He pretty much ran the day while I rested.  It's just really important to your marriage's survival to really keep a close eye on how your spouse is doing.  Don't just focus on your own needs- focus on your spouse's needs and trust that if you are loving and giving that it will be returned to you.  Your spouse is much more likely to help you and be loving toward you if his needs are being met and you are watching out for him.


Sorry for the kind of gross topic!  But, it was my reality this week and I know a lot of you find it to be yours as well, so maybe this will help!  Try and keep your sense of humor, and always remember that it will not last forever.  Hope you are all feeling ok this week, and I will see you on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment