Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Let's Talk- Montessori Method and a mat Named Max

Hey guys!  How are we doing today?  I got a great topic to chat about today...it is kid related, but teachers might want to chime in on this one too!

1) What do you think about the Montessori method?
You might want to google this if you have never heard of it, because I know I am going to completely botch the description of it!  It is basically a style of education for babies and toddlers that seeks to create a blueprint in which children become self motivated, independent, life-long learners.  It works closely with the parents and really fosters independent learning that hones in on the child's particular interests.  It has been around for about 100 years, flowing in and out of "style" over the years.  I feel the same about this as I do about many other learning styles- if you like it and you think your kid will like it, then cool.  I think you can search to the high heavens for how to best prepare your 3 year old to become a productive member of society, but if it doesn't include playing dress-up and building card-board box spaceships, then you are missing the whole point of childhood.  In my opinion, childhood is not the foundation for the future of your kid's academic achievement.  I think that childhood is the place where innocence is protected and simplicity is encouraged, with the point being that their hearts and minds stay as pure as possible so that they can be open to the simple yet foundational things in life: love, happiness, purity, fun, laughter, security, etc.  These are things that as we grow up do not come as easily, but if they are secured as children then they can help seal a foundation of love and security and hopefully a closeness with the Lord.  Their hearts and minds are so pliable at this young stage, which is probably why we want to jump on academics.  But I do not feel that academia is my number one priority...I feel my number one priority is to make sure my kids know the love of Jesus.  So if they are pliable, then I want to use that to see that they are playing, having fun, feeling loved, being free to be a carefree kid, and just hearing about the Lord.
Ok, I just re-read what I wrote and maybe I was a bit harsh regarding methods...I have nothing against this or other methods- if you are sending your kid to preschool then by all means find one you like.  My own kids go to preschool before I homeschool them because I want them to have that experience.  If you find a method that you like and you feel it will be a great fit for your kid, then that's great!  I am just saying that I think we need to make sure that we are guarding their childhood and the simplicity that it should encompass.



2) What do you do to treat your fibromyalgia?
Ok this is new territory for me.  I have talked about medication and stuff, but I am still finding my "groove" as far as finding what will work for me.  I am in tremendous pain every day, so clearly I am still navigating this.  I am weaning off my current medication and will be starting a new one in the next 2 weeks.  I did also discuss other plans with my rheumatologist that may work in conjunction with the medication.  A good friend of mine also contacted me and told me about how she handles her fibro which was really helpful.  So I am starting to develop a plan and we'll see how it works.  I am going to try melatonin (a natural OTC sleep aid) for sleep because I really don't like sleep medication, but getting good sleep is vital.  I also got a yoga mat and am giving that a go...it's a little frustrating, because I have never "exercised" or worked out for any other goal except for physical fitness.  My doc was clear however, that I need to do little to no impact exercise- it mainly needs to be stretching, blood flow, and relaxation.  So, with my fancy new yoga mat that I have named "Max", I am going to give it a try.  I am also researching some other natural things to try, but for now, this is my plan: sleep, yoga, medication, and prayer.  My commitment to try and pray at night is very important to me...I don't want God to be on the back burner when it comes to my illness...He is my Physician, and I want to keep my eyes on Him even though it's hard.  Let's see if I can get my life back!




3) Are you pregnant yet?
I get asked this about every other week, so I will just go ahead and tell you that no, I am not pregnant, haha.  If I were pregnant, you would have already seen a picture of the pee stick, lol



Let me just say, that these are all just my opinions at the moment.  As time goes by I gain more and different experiences, and so my opinions may change.  What is most important is that you are seeking God and making the best decisions for you and your family.  If you are doing that, then you are doing great.

1 comment:

  1. i love the variety of topics in this post.
    happy to see kids playing dress up.
    happy to see that you have named your mat, that's the only way i could bear yoga as well.
    happy to see i havent missed out on a pee stick picture!

    ReplyDelete