Friday, January 18, 2013

Reaping the Heart

Jeff and I bought a house this week.

How's that for an opening line!  The cool thing is that it's true.  Now technically we don't own it yet, it still has to pass inspection and we still have to sign a thousand papers at closing, but if all goes well then by the end of February it will all be settled.

For those of you who have been following my life via this blog, this may come as a surprise to you.  The past 2 1/2 years since we moved here we have been doing a whole lot of waiting.  We have pretty much had a red light from God regarding any major decisions.  A few months ago however, we knew that time was running out on our living situation.  We are renting my in-laws house while they are in Florida for the winter and they will be returning in May.  So we pretty much knew that May was when we need to have our own place, and we also knew that at this point we are not only too large of family to rent, but that we are tired of moving.  So we prayed and decided to wait until the last possible month until we start taking action on a house.  Welcome to our deadline.  

The cool thing is, this is the first time God has given us a green light.

There is a peace that comes from waiting until His timing.  In a time filled with wondering and confusion, it is nice to make a major decision moving forward and having peace.  It's more than just nice- for us, it is a necessity.  There have been several times over the years we have thought about buying, but there was just no peace.  No mater how rational and wise it may have seemed at the time, the Bible says that a man makes plans but the Lord directs his steps.  So make your plans, but understand that the Lord directs them- heed that direction. The whole process has happened quickly and smoothly (so far), and I love the house.  We first saw the house about 2 weeks ago, and we have a closing date in 5 weeks.  The house in a perfect location and is just what we were looking for...and the owners accepted the first offer we made.  

While this is all very cool, it is not what the main point of my blog is today.  What I really want to talk about it reaping.

When we first saw this house, we both loved it.  We looked at so many houses and none had the features that this one had.  However, as I said, everything moved very quickly and before we knew it we were signing a bunch of papers and spending quite a bit of money!  Because of how fast it was moving, Jeff decided to take a step back...he decided we were going to walk away from the house and look around some more.

And I was ok with that.

We called our agent and said we were taking advantage of the 3 day window where you can walk away penalty free.  Normally this is not something I would be able to do.  I am a woman who has moved more times that I can count, and here we found a home I love...and I was walking away.  I had peace in my soul but I also had more than that.  I had a well deep inside my heart that I was able to draw from- a well filled with the knowledge that God is in control and that I can submit all my cares to Him.  A well filled with the first-hand experience of following the Lord through the desert and knowing that He will never keep me thirsting.  A well filled with the sweet song of a life wholly submitted to Him.

My heart was reaping what my spirit planted with the sweat, blood, and tears of these past few years.
And while the house is a wonderful blessing, the real blessing is the change in my soul.

This is what it's all about.  It's about following Him with the purpose of becoming more like Him.  It's about submitting your life to a higher calling for a higher purpose.  It's not about the picket white fence...it's about the walk that leads you to His gates.  We have seen too much in the news to not be aware that all can be lost in an instant.  Jeff did end up deciding that he did indeed want that house, and now we are in the process of buying it...but my hope is not resting in my house- it resting in the One who gave it to me.  Maybe I will live there for the rest of my life.  Maybe it will all come crumbling down tomorrow.  I just don't know...but I know the only thing that matters.

He gives and takes away.  
But my heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be Your name.

2 comments:

  1. I'm soooooo excited for you guys and this breakthrough...God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! As you know it's been a looong time coming ;)

    ReplyDelete