Friday, November 16, 2012

Turning The Tide


Wow.  Ok, so this past Tuesday’s blog had more reads than any other blog since I started sharing.  I had over a hundred hits just in the first few hours of posting.  I was not really trying to get on a soapbox for that one, it just kind of came out because I am passionate about the subject.  I guess you are too.

I can’t help but expound a little bit on the topic.  I am not going to be talking about weight per se, but a much deeper root on the issue.

You may be getting a little tired of this, but I will say it again anyway- life is not complicated.  Situations can be complicated, but the tools we have are simple and versatile.  There are some basic life principles that, if you put into play, can really deal with anything.

In this case, I am talking about the principle of sowing and reaping.  It is no secret that what you sow you will reap.  There are a million examples I could give, but I think you know what I am saying.  And maybe you are wondering what this has to do with losing weight, but stay with me here.

I go through ebbs and flows in my life...sometimes, I spend my time baking, reading good books, praying, listening to worship music, having great conversations, serving at church.  Then there are times where I am tired, I watch junk on tv, I don’t open my Bible, I play in the internet and I just kind of go through my days.  Guess which times make me feel bad about my appearance?  Go figure.  What you reap is what you will sow.  If you put garbage in, then you will be looking through a dirty lens.  I don’t blame Hollywood at all...the only reason they continue to do it is because we are funding it.  Don’t say you hate the media’s pressure if you are the one seeing the movies, buying the magazines, and surfing their sites on the internet.  Nobody is forcing me to compare myself to them...I am doing that all by myself.

This makes me really, really mad.  Not just mad at myself, but mad at us women as a whole.  As a Christ-loving woman, I should look NOTHING like the world.  I should be at peace, not striving as if I have an inner void.  What many of you may not realize is that your internal feelings show on the outside.  There are ladies I see who are absolutely gorgeous...but yet their beauty is so fragile.  When you look at them, your eyes see beauty but your soul is not at peace with them.  A woman who is trying so hard to be noticed has the opposite effect than she wants.  Yes, she will get looked at...but she won’t truly be desired.  

Charm is very deceptive and as we all know, beauty does not last forever.  But a woman who gives her life in true devotion to the Lord- she is the one with true beauty and who is truly desired by those around her. (my version of Proverbs 31:30)  You need to have an honest conversation with yourself about what it is you want.  There are millions of women who play the game, and the ending is always the same.  For a while, she is at the top...envied, lusted after, complimented regularly.  But slowly over time, there will always emerge someone younger/thinner/prettier leaving her feeling desperate to compete.  She only feels value if she can keep her looks up.  But when all is said and done she is left a shell of a woman who never truly knew love or peace.

Sorry but us Christian ladies can be just as bad. We think that because we are married, go to church, and are not out clubbing then we are not the same.  Listen, the way it plays out may be different but the inner stuff is the same.  How often when we all hang out do we hear the following:  “Ugh, I hate my thighs”, or “Oh I really shouldn’t eat that”, or “I really need to lose weight”, or “Did you see so-and-so, she looks so good...I wish I looked that good after having kids!” and so on, and so on.  This is NOT what we were created for.

Listen, if you want to lose weight, then be my guest.  But do it as a side note, not as the main chapter of your life. This is more than losing weight...it is about your motive behind it.  I hear all the time “I just want to lose weight to be healthy.”  But most of the time that is not true; we really just want to lose weight to look good.  Why do I think that?  Because most of the things we try and do to lose weight are not healthy, nor are other areas of our lifestyles.  Vicki Iovine once said “If we could lose weight by eating candy and smoking cigarettes, then all the gyms would close overnight and be replaced by 7-11s.”  I think this is true.    

I read the following verses from Jeremiah last night and I want to share.  (This is God talking to the people):

“...even the prophets and priests all tell lies.  They tried to heal My            
                   people’s serious injuries as if they were small wounds.  They said 
                   ‘It’s all right, it’s all right.’  But really it is not all right.  They should 
                    be ashamed of the terrible way they act, but they are not ashamed 
                    at all.  They don’t even know how to blush about their sins...Stand 
                    where the roads cross and look.  Ask where the old way is, and 
                    walk on it.  If you do, you will find rest for yourselves.” (Jer. 6:13-16)

Listen, I am not particularly trying to be harsh, but while it seems like a light issue, it is actually very somber and serious.  This is not just the issue of self-esteem...it’s an issue of where our hearts and minds lay.  I am speaking to myself as well...the things we are filling our minds with are appalling.  Most shows on tv today are filling with women dressed to kill, while the plot lines all revolve around having sex.  It is any wonder that we are bound to our looks when we fill our hearts and minds with such trash?  

And so I come to the point...you reap what you sow.  Like this verse says- ask where the old way is.  Walk on the paths of honor and righteousness and you will find REST for yourself.  Become a woman who seeks hard after God and you will see other things fall into place.  We are hurting as a church and it is largely due to the fact that there are fewer and fewer uncompromised women in it.

You can’t have both friends.  You cannot reap what you have not sown.  Let’s change the tide here.  Let’s stand up, call a spade a spade, and refuse to be captive any longer.  

We were meant to live for so much more.

1 comment:

  1. i love the honesty that you pull out of everything. its refreshing.

    ReplyDelete