Tuesday, November 20, 2012

TMTT- Schedule and TV


So that you don't think I am insanely serious all the time, I promise to keep this post light!  I really wanted to get some other moms feedback on this one, but I did not get on that in time for this post.  So today I am going to answer the question of what my typical day looks like, and then another question about what my TV rules are.  Keep an eye out at the end of this post, because I have a question for you!

1) What do you do all day?
Haha...usually this question is asked quite seriously.  In fact, I sometimes ask myself the very same question...and I usually can't answer it!  When I think back on my day I really can't say I actually did anything, yet I know that I am crazy tired by the end and that if I DIDN'T do whatever it is I did, then the house and kids would have fallen apart!  But an extension to this question is people actually wanting to see roughly what my day looks like, so I will give a breakdown of what our day looks like.  When I only had small kids, I used to have this HUGE board up in my dining room with a bunch of interchangeable times and activities and I would create the board for the day so that the kids and me would know what we would be doing and what time we would be doing it.  This was for my sanity...it helped me pass the time and get everything done, while also keeping the kids from nagging or being aimless all day.  I do not do this now, mainly because now that I have older children the dynamic has changed.  With homeschool and having kids old enough to know the basic routine, we all basically know what is going on during the day.  So here is a basic sketch of what a typical day looks like:

7am- Get up (the kids are up earlier than this, but they just play with each other.  They know to come to  
         me at 7)
7:15am- Feed baby, start making breakfast
7:30am- Breakfast
8:15- Kids get dressed, clean rooms, make beds, clean house
8:45- Memory Verse time (I sit with the kids and go over Bible verses with them)
9-10- Kids play, I do chores (start laundry, do dishes, change bedsheets, etc.)
10am- Kids get piece of fruit and a dvd
           Anthony starts homeschool- sometimes he does his seat-work and sometimes we do lessons
11:15- Kids clean house
11:30- Lunch and then the younger kids take naps
12:30- Joey and Natalie play down in the family room (they don't nap but are in preschool 2 days a 
           week so don't homeschool yet).  This is when Anthony will do whatever we didn't do in the 
           morning, either seat-work or lessons
2:00- Outside play, I do more chores
3:00- Snack outside
3:30/4:00- Kid come in, watch dvd
4:45- Kids clean the house/do any chores I ask them to do
5:15- Dinner
6:00- Clean up, wash, get little ones dressed for bed
6:20- Family church- Jeff leads in worship, Bible story, prayer
6:45- Little ones to bed
7/7:30- Older boys to bed

This is a basic day, but we have a lot of variations- 2 kids go to preschool 2 mornings a week, Jeff works 3 nights a week, there is church Wednesday night, etc.  This is what a normal day looks like when Jeff doesn't work at night.  I found my days were much more difficult when I had less kids and they were younger...I used to get so bored!  And that was why I had such a detailed schedule, to keep myself sane.  Now I am very busy, but we have a flow to the day.  Hope this helps...I am a big proponent of daily schedules.  Sure, they are fluid, but at least they give you some kind of guide for the day.

2) How much TV do you let your kids watch?
I personally feel like this is one of the questions that most moms are not honest about.  Maybe they don't mean to, but I just think they either don't realize how much TV they watch , or they feel guilty so they down play it.  You all should know by now that I don't live by guilt.  I am not perfect by a long shot, but I don't apologize for the areas I need to work on..I just work on them as I can.  I am doing my best and will continue to do my best, and when I have an area that I need to work on, then I will be honest about it and work on it.  I encourage you to do the same! That being said, I let my kids watch a lot of DVDs.  Probably more than they should, and one day when our life stabilizes a bit I will work on it.  Last year when we were renting this great house and we had our own space, I was really good about how much they watched.  But this year with all the moving and me being sick, I just do what works.  There are days where they watch a couple hours and days where it's on and off nearly all day.  If I am really tired I will tell them they can put a DVD on in the morning.  I really love watching movies, so this is an area I personally indulge in too much anyway myself.  However, I will say this...and I am firm on this...I think you should be less concerned with how much tv they watch and be much more concerned with the CONTENT of what they watch.  We do not have cable.  The only tv they can watch are the dvds that I own.  And I don't care that my 6 1/2 year old son still watches Veggie Tales and Dora- it's that or nothing.  I will not allow them to watch anything that I don't want them mimicking or influencing their hearts.  Just because he is getting older does not mean I have to let the ratings we watch get older too...I still have little eyes and ears in the home, and I'm sorry but I just don't want my sons innocence to be taken away.  I do provide older dvds, and they are ones with good morals and values that I don't mind my kids being influenced by.  I let them watch Little House on the Prairie, Little Women, The Miracle Worker, The Waltons, 19 Kids and Counting, etc. You cannot ignore the fact that what you allow your kids to see and hear WILL influence their hearts and mind.  I am raising my kids to respect me and others, and to love the Lord...and I am diligent not to allow anything to undermine what I am teaching them.

Ok, so I told you that I had a question for you.  I am going to be doing a TMTT coming up on homeschooling...from the kids perspectives.  I have a few friends that were home-schooled as kids and are now all grown-up, so I am going to be interviewing some of them.  So...to all of you who are homeschooling or are just curious, I want to know what questions you might want to ask someone who actually was home-schooled themselves.  Maybe you want to know what they liked about it and what they didn't, or maybe you are curious about if they feel they socialized enough... I know I have a bunch of questions, but I want you to ask some as well.  SO if there is anything you have ever wanted to know, now is the time to ask!  You can submit your questions to my email at artyler@mail.com or facebook me your questions.  

Hope you enjoy your Tuesday and since I won’t see you until after, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!


(This picture is really old, but you can kinda see the big schedule board we used to have behind Jeff!)


No comments:

Post a Comment