Friday, November 2, 2012

Dig your well- then fill it


Is it really Friday again?  Time sure does fly.  It has been an interesting week to say the least with hurricane Sandy.  Thankfully, my family is all doing well, although still powerless and eating Dinty Moore.  Others were not so lucky.

Of course the storm got me thinking, and when I think I write.  Before the storm came, I did what most people probably did, and that was stock up on essentials.  I am typically a very prepared person anyway, but I made sure to recheck what I had and get some more things just in case.  It turns out I didn’t need any of it- we didn’t even lose power.  But I felt confident that if we had gotten hit, my family would have been fine.  

Preparation is a funny thing.  You never see it’s value until it’s too late to change it.  When something comes your way, whether expected or unexpected, the only resources you have to draw on is what you have previously prepared.  I think you know where I am going with this...

Being prepared physically is a good thing...being prepared spiritually is essential.  It takes years to grow roots.  It’s not something that can be done in a moment of crisis.  The things you do and the choices you make all contribute to the resources you have to draw on when a time of crisis comes.  It is so unbelievably easy to just go on cruise control, believing that you will tighten up when you need to.  The problem is, life is not like a hurricane and there are no weathermen.  The storms of life often come quickly and in the midst of clear blue skies.  

When we moved here over 2 years ago, I had absolutely no idea it would be this hard.  I thought we were coming into sunny days.  But the only reason we are still standing is because of the sowing we did years before.  The praying. The serving.  The worshipping.  The standards in our lives.  Living your life firmly for the Lord every single day will give you the strength you need before you even know when you will need it.  Don’t waste the time you have now.  Don’t sit in the calm of life and take a back seat to self-pleasure.  Because one day you are going to wake up and see the storm raging around you and you will have nothing to hold on to.

"The will to win is important.  The will to prepare is vital." -Joe Paterno

Redeem your time now.  Take care of your spirit now.  If you invest now, you will inherit later.  Fast, pray, read, serve, worship...it’s like I said last week; there are a handful of principles that can be used in all areas of your life...this is one of them.  There is no problem you will ever face that you will not be able to walk through if you’re centered on Him.  I would have fallen apart by now if the only thing I had to draw from was movies, tv, and other nonsense.  I am still standing because I invested in the eternal.  But you know what?  I could have done a lot better.  Jeff and I made some mistakes when we first got here...and we still struggle to hold it together.  I think back on all of the days and nights I wasted and I cringe.  Who knew there would soon be a time where life would shake so hard?  I guess that’s the point...you don’t know.  So be ready.  

Prepare your homes as well...quick note to moms of young ones- I know it seems like you are drowning in diapers and bottles and you are doing everything you can just to make it to bedtime (and sometimes even bedtime is no guarantee that you’re done for the day!)  I know that some days it seems like it takes all of your mental resources just to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...but I encourage you to be deliberate in your parenting as well as your life.  Don’t just teach them, train them.  Don’t just discipline them, direct their hearts.  Don’t just feed their bodies, feed their souls.  They are going to face challenges in their lives as well and it’s your job to give them the best tools you can to face it.  Think about it- you can teach your child that every time you come home from the store he should come out and help you carry bags in...and he will do it because you told him to.  Or, you can train his heart to see the needs of others...and then he will help with that and more because his heart told him to.  

It’s about being deliberate.  It’s about making it count.  It’s about learning from the now so you are ready for the later.  Every season has it’s benefit.  Even the desert.  Just as the season before prepared me for this, so this season is preparation as well.  Sometimes pain is gain, you just have to see it.  I may be crawling along the desert floor, but I do not want to waste this time.  I want to take stock of every single grain of sand that scrapes across my knees as I crawl my way through this season.  I want to store every lesson I am learning right now deep in my heart, creating a well to draw from in the future.

I encourage you to do the same.  Whether sunny skies or raging winds- there is no climate that can keep you off your knees.  

“Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.” 1 Corinthians 16:13 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment