Tuesday, October 23, 2012

TMTT

You may have noticed there is an extra "T" in the title of this post....ok, you probably didn't notice, but I will explain anyway.  Continuing with my alliteration skills, I decided to add an extra word to my Tuesday posts...it is now technically "Talk to Me & Tip Tuesdays".  I added "tip" because I will be periodically be sharing tips on different things, as well as favorites and just all around things I think of that I would like to share with you.  K?

So I was all excited to write this blog about some of my favorite books, but as the week went on I got very panicked...I have read hundreds and hundreds of books- how will I EVER manage to a) remember them all and b) condense them down to just a few favorites????  I just know that after I post this I will suddenly remember a whole bunch of awesome books.  

Before we get to that, I do want to answer a question that got sent my way this week.  I think it’s a great question...one that I know people are wondering, and also one that I wonder about other families. Here goes!

  1. How do you make ends meet?
Suffice to say, it is not cheap to keep 8 people fed, clothed, etc.  I am a stay-at-home mom, so the only income we have comes from Jeff.  He works 2 jobs to make ends meet...he works part time at the church and full time at a warehouse.  He works about 50 hours a week, give or take, and he makes enough to pay our bills.  However, we make a lot of sacrifices so I can stay home.  There are a lot of things we do not have or do not do because we chose to be a one income large family.  We do not own a home yet. Until this year we have always had just one car.  We have never owned a new car- when we have bought a car we have bought cars that are old and used because we save up and pay cash for it.  We shop at thrift stores, amazon and on ebay.  We do not have cable, nor do we have nice cell phones (we do the Straightalk plan, which is half the price of our old Sprint cell phone bill).  We do our best to live debt-free.  We do not take regular vacations, do not have lavish birthdays or holidays, and we generally just live very simply.  We don’t have a lot of wiggle room financially, but our needs are met.  I am so very blessed to have such a hard working husband, and I love the family life we are creating which focuses on our relationships rather than things.

And here is the book list!  I have made categories, because there are just so many different kinds of books I love!  Each category will have a few of my favorites in it.  Like I said earlier, this is definitly a “first draft”...I am sure I will come up with many more of my favorite books, and so I think I may do something like this every couple of months!  Also- next week I will be sharing some of my menu items.  I have a rotation of things that I make for breakfast and lunch for the kids, and I will be sharing that with you.  

Happy reading!

Fiction-
  1. Cry My Safari by Stefanie DeLeo- Amazing book written by my sister.  Different storyline, fast-paced, and a GREAT read. You can get it on Amazon and also on your kindle or nook.  She is also a published playwright...you can find her writer’s page on facebook- Stefanie DeLeo, Writer
  2. Hunger Games
  3. Left Behind series- I have read all the books several times- love it!
  4. Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers- I like all three but the first two are the best
  5. The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks- AMAZING book
  6. Pride and Prejudice 

Non-Fiction
  1. The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson- Very inspiring
  2. In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson- Makes you want to pick a fight...in a good way :)
  3. Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge- Must read for women
  4. Jesus Freaks by DC Talk and the Voice of the Martyrs
  5. Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala

Pregnancy Books
  1. The Girlfriend’s Guide to Pregnancy by Vickie Iovine
  2. The Girlfriend’s Guide to the First Year of Motherhood by Vickie Iovine
  3. The Girlfriend’s Guide to Toddlers by Vickie Iovine
  4. The Girlfriend’s Guide to Getting Your Groove Back by Vickie Iovine                                                                                     -Clearly I love her books..she is not a Christian author, but her books are so great...not only are they accurate, but they are HILARIOUS!  I have all of them practically memorized.

If I had to pick one book to be my ultimate favorite, other than the Word of God, I would have to say it would be Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott.  I read it every year and it is encouraging, heartwarming, inspiring, and touching.  

I am DEFINITLY going to do a “Part 2” to this list another time.  There are so many books I just know I am leaving out...so for now, hope you enjoy some of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment