Tuesday, October 16, 2012

TMT


So I went to the store the other day and I had all the kids with me, so of course I got the usual round of questions, comments, and stares!  A woman stopped and started looking at all the kids and saying hi, when Anthony suddenly blurts out "Yes, they are all her kids!"  LOL  I laughed so hard...but seriously, I only have 6...I don't really see what the fuss is all about. :)

Today is another bunch of kid questions...no hot topics today! lol  This is just a casual set of questions I have gotten many times.  And I have to say, these are also questions that I find myself asking other moms too!

1) Do you plan your meals ahead of time?  Do you freeze meals?
Feeding my family takes up more time than anything else that I do (even laundry!).  Every week I make a menu for all meals and snacks.  I do it because I don't like to worry about what I am going to make-I like to have it all planned out so I don't have to think.  It also puts a stop to the "what are we having for dinner/snack/breakfast" questions.  They just go and look at the menu.  And it helps me stay within my grocery budget...if it's not on the menu, I don't buy it.  As for freezing meals...sometimes yes, sometimes no.  We are officially at the point now where I have to double all recipes for them to feed my family, so in order to freeze a meal for later use I would have to quadruple it and I just don't have the pots and pans for that as of now.  I do freeze some things- if I make pancakes or muffins, I make enough for 2 breakfasts and freeze one.  Same with soup...I just make a huge pot full and freeze half.  

2) How much laundry do you do?
I do about 8-10 loads a week.  I do one load of clothes every single day, and then throughout the week there are sheets, towels, and blankets that get washed.  Sometimes I make my own detergent...I have made several different kinds and while I like it in general, I don't always feel that it does a great job with really "dirty" loads- like potty accidents, muddy clothes, etc. so I will buy regular detergent and use it for heavier loads.   

3) Do you ever get any time to yourself?
Yes.  I have a very strict bedtime for my kids, and once they are in bed my day ends.  Unless there is a special occasion, you will not find me doing chores after the kids go to bed, except for taking care of the baby who usually needs one more bottle.  When Jeff is home we spend the night together hanging out.  Sometimes we watch a movie, sometimes read a book...it's our time.  Neither one of us has any real energy or brain power for anything other than that, lol.  It works for me because I LOVE to read.  I read anything I can get my hands on.  All around the house I have books, so I pretty much read whenever I have a few minutes.  Reading and cooking are my major decompressors...cooking I get plenty of, and reading I make sure I get plenty of- keeps me sane. I also get out of the house whether it's to go shopping or hang out with friends.  This doesn't happen all the time, mainly because I don't have the energy, but it does happen pretty much whenever I want.  Jeff is really awesome about letting me get out when I want to.  If you want your marriage to survive these years, you really have to have a giving attitude.  You have to look past your own wants to see if your spouse has a need- and then you have to step up and meet that need.  It's give and take, and you both have to play.  When one of you has been in the ring for a while, you need to extend your hand and let them tag out and catch their breath. And after a while, you will need the tag out and you'll want to make sure your spouse is well rested enough to cover for you.  Don't sacrifice your relationship with your spouse during these years in the trenches of raising kids.  One day your kids will grow up...and you’ll want to make sure you’re still in love with the person you’re sharing a bed with every night.  

4) Do you use cloth or disposable diapers?
Disposable.  I used cloth for 6 months several years ago when I had 4 kids and 3 in diapers.  It was just too much work and too much laundry.  And now that I have 6 kids, I just will not add that much extra work to my life.  Obviously if I had no choice I would, but like I said, I already do 10 loads a week, I cannot add 3 kids in cloth diapers worth of laundry!

In addition to maybe a question or two, I was thinking of sharing a list of my favorite books next week...I always love when good books get recommended to me, so I would like to do the same.  Hope you all have a great week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment