Friday, September 28, 2012

It Is Well With My Soul


I have come to look forward to Fridays.  Most of you probably always looked forward to Fridays, seeing as it brings the weekend on.  But for me, Friday is the start of Jeff’s 3 longest workdays.  I am grateful to have something during the week to think upon, and then come Friday, to feed on.  I hope your soul is being fed as well.

Last Friday I wrote, in essence, about one of my favorite verses, Job 13:15- “Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.”  We talked about trusting the times when God is silent.  The problem is, the story doesn’t end there.  There is a reason why you can still trust Him even if He slays you.  Allow me to finish the story.

There was once a man who had many problems in his life.  He was very poor, and found the only way to make ends meet was to sit on the road and beg anyone who walked by for some food or money.  He was unable to work because he was born without the ability to see.  He got accustomed to his life...being poor and blind became the definition of who he was.  

One day, that changed.

A man named Jesus came and touched him.  The touch immediately opened his blind eyes, but it opened his soul as well.  He was seeing for the first time...in every way possible.  Of course, as seems to be customary among us humans, people began complaining.  There were some people who doubted that he really was changed.  They could not believe that a man who was a certain way all his life could possibly be any different.  They said surely this must be someone else and if it is him, it will not last.

Sound familiar?  Ever have anyone tell you that you will never really be changed?  Ever have anyone doubt the work that Jesus is doing in your life?  Ever doubt it yourself?

The man was called before an assembly and basically put on trial.  They asked him question after question about who he was, and who this Jesus was. They asked him if he ever really was blind.  They asked him how he got healed. They asked him how this was possible, how could a mere man perform a healing.  They wanted answers.  

Instead of answers, the man formally known as “blind beggar” gave them the only response he knew...the only one mattered.  “I don’t know any of the answers to your questions...one thing I DO know: I once was blind but now I see.”  (John 9:25)

Oh praise Him!  Hallelujah to the King of Kings.  Praise be to the Lamb who takes away my sins.  May Your name be lifted up!  Go ahead and worship.  Go ahead and think about the day you gave your life to Jesus.  Remember the day that you were blind and then you could see!  This is why you can trust Him.  This is why you don’t need the answer to your all your questions- because you already have it.  You had everything you will ever need the day you met Jesus.

When the crowd gathers and puts you on trial; when your life is raging and you see no way out; when your doubts and discouragement threatens to overtake you...ANSWER.   

I once was blind but now I see.
I was once lame, but now I dance.
I once was lost, but I am found.
I was dead...but now I LIVE.

This is the end of the story.  This is why we can keep going no matter what.  This is why even death does not close the book of our lives.  This is why.  
Death, where is your sting?  Death where is your victory?  My friends, your labor is not in vain.

See it or not, feel it or not, nothing can separate you from the love of God.  Nothing.


  1. When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
    When sorrows like sea billows roll;
    Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
    It is well, it is well, with my soul.
  2. Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
    Let this blest assurance control,
    That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
    And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
  3. My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
    My sin, not in part but the whole,
    Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
    Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
  4. And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
    The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
    The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
    Even so, it is well with my soul.

4 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! By the way...that is one of my favorite songs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, I am brought to tears with your insightful writing... keep it going sister... the Lord is anointing you to do this I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful for your support...thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete